Saturday, November 21, 2020

Memory of Sicily - Sundrenched Cathedral

 

My todays question is, "how to get a sun-kissed look in watercolour". I will show you how I dealed with that.

I started with a thoughtful sketch on the cutout of a larger photo (you never need to do a full view, just cut out the things you like). 

I am searching for a focal point to start from. Here the two statues and the sign (which I absolutely wanted to draw in because it makes an interesting contrast of new versus old...).

Here is the sketch. This is my foreground. In my opinion it is always easier to do a more exact sketch in front in order to be more sure of where to place the colours later. My next step was filling the background with warm colours.

 

Here you do not have to be very precise, just warm colours for a sunny look.

And there you go with the rest. Use colder, darker colours for the foreground and that is the whole secret to it.

 

Ein sonnendurchflutetes Bild kann man am Besten machen, wenn man die Vorzeichnung genau und den sonnigen Teil etwas ungenauer macht. Den Hintergrund habe ich in einem warmen Ton gehalten und vorne dunklere, kältere Töne verwendet. Das ist das ganze Geheimnis...

No comments:

Post a Comment