Sunday, April 5, 2020

watercolour portrait sketch and Cadmium-Free Watercolours

























Today I would like to rewiew the cadmium-free watercolour tones received in form of dot cards from Winsor&Newton. This is a super development as cadmium is not healthy. (It is said that cadmium pigments can be potentially toxic if inhaled or eaten.) I do not eat my colours, but any development that can make colours safer is welcome to me.

In the beginning I thought this would be a nice thing for painting our rape fields in watercolour class, as usually in spring I draw them as soon as the bright yellow appears in the landscape (and so far I did it with cadmium lemon and orange, new gamboge and the like - see my last years spring posts on that theme), but now I had a much better idea. 

Here you see my first trial of those cadmium-free colours for a portrait sketch and I am very pleased with the results of the reds, oranges and yellows.

They are very bright and so far I just discovered that cad-free scarlet is a bit different in vibrancy than the cadmium scarlet. I will have to do a few more tests in the near future and I try to be disciplined enough to include the colours I used for my sketches from time to time. 
(...here is where I have to think before I draw!) 

The cad-free scarlet btw is super for creating a bright skin colour in my opinion (not pure as it is strong, but in mixtures it is very pleasant). The yellows are more difficult to mix than yellow ochre for skin colours, but if you try the mixes on a paper before applying, it is easy to achieve the right tone. 

Note: For portraying in my opinion it is important to also use some darker colours as well as a mixing combination i.e. a blue and/or a brown. 

I like the colours and will successively change from cadmium to cadmium-free colours.  What a good idea.

Heute wollte ich einmal auf die Cadmium-Freien Farben von Winsor&Newton eingehen. Das ist ein super Idee, denn die Cadmium Farben können möglicherweise toxisch sein, wenn man sie einnimmt oder einatmet. Ich esse meine Farben zwar nicht, aber begrüsse jede Neuentwicklung, die Farben besser und ungefährlicher macht.

Zuerst dachte ich, die Farben wären super für Rapsfelder im Malkurs geeignet, aber bin dann auf eine viel bessere Idee gekommen, um die ganze Farbpalette mal auszuprobieren und das ist Portraitmalen. Die auf der Farbkarte enthaltenen Farben sind ähnlich, wie die Cadmiumfarben. Ich muss noch mehr Tests machen, aber z.B. bei dem Scarlet habe ich festgestellt, dass die Farbe, die Cadmium enthält noch etwas lebhafter zu sein scheint. Auf jeden Fall hat mir besonders die Cadmium-Freie Scarlet sehr gut in Mischungen gefallen. Auch sie ist sehr knallig, wenn man sie pur verwendet. Wie gesagt, ich werde die Farben weiterhin testen und versuche mich so diszipiniert zu verhalten, dass ich ab und zu Farbnotizen zu meinen Skizzen schreibe, damit diese nachvollziehbar sind.

Falls man die Gelbtöne in Mischungen als Hautfarbe verwendet, sollte man seine Mischung immer zuerst auf einem extra Blatt ausprobieren, denn die Farben sind stärker als Mischungen mit z.B. einem Ockerton. 

Ich empfehle bei Portraits immer noch einen oder zwei dunkle Farbtöne für die Mischungen in Schattenbereichen zu verwenden, deshalb sind diese oben auch angegeben.

Fazit: Ich mag die Farben und wie bei allen W&N Farben sind sie super anlösbar und leicht zu vermalen. Meine Cadmiumfarben werde ich nach und nach auf Cadmium-Frei umstellen. Tolle Idee. 

No comments:

Post a Comment