Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Malta, Valletta + trip reflections























Here are some of my trip reflections from my sketching adventure on Malta Island:
  1. Less is more. Travelling light is the key. I took only a small amount of material with me which was good: An A5 watercolour book, my travel palette and some new tube colours I brought and all of them where excellent and well chosen which were turquoise, organic vermilion, new gamboge, etc.
  2. The passion to draw outside is much easier to realize in warmer countries so I would like to try to travel more in the cold German winter.
  3. I simplified my sketches as I often had to leave before finishing - no worries about the unfinished (and you don't have to draw everything.)
  4. I used a thicker brush which makes my drawing faster and more loose
  5. Most of the drawings I did were direct watercolours - only for difficult buildings I still use the pencil to draw the lines first.
  6. My sketches are pieces of reportage and I always note my thoughts on separate sheets (in the pouch of the last side of the sketchbook), maybe I should incorporate some more text into the drawing itself?

Malta is a great place full of history and definitely there is so much more that can be sketched or painted. I would have loved to do more architectural sketches of the beautiful light yellow and ocre buildings mainly in the city of Valetta with those wooden balconies...and the beautiful churches...and the harbours... Now that I am back my mind is still in Malta. What a luck that the weather is warm now in my area (we have unusual "summer temperatures" in April which is great!). My Malta sketchbook is not entirely full which means this is a good pretext to get back there soon!

Hier einige Überlegungen zu meiner Reise:
  1. Weniger ist mehr. Ich hab nur wenig Material zum Zeichnen mitgenommen wie z.B. mein A5 Aquarellbuch, meine Reisepalette und einige Tubenfarben wie z.B. Türkis, Organic Vermilion, New Gamboge,...
  2. Die Leidenschaft draussen zu malen lässt sich in wärmeren Ländern auch im Winter gut ausüben, daher muss man einfach öfters im Winter reisen, wenn man aus einem kalten Land kommt.
  3. Viele Skizzen habe ich sehr vereinfacht und inzwischen ist es mir auch egal, ob ich mit der Skizze fertig geworden bin oder nicht...
  4. Dieses Mal habe ich auch einen dickeren Pinsel mitgenommen, damit ich schneller und lockerer male.
  5. Die meisten Malta-Bilder sind "direkte Aquarelle", die nicht mit dem Bleistift vorgezeichnet wurden. Es war mein Ziel so wenig Bleistift wie möglich einzusetzten und das habe ich dann nur bei den etwas komplizierteren Strukturen, wie z.B. der Queen Victoria, dem Ford Capri, dem Löwen, usw. gemacht.
  6. Meine Skizzen sollen meine Reise dokumentieren. In einer Tasche hinten im Skizzenbuch habe ich meine Texte auf separaten Papieren, denn ich notiere mir immer vor Ort schon einige Stichworte, um nichts zu vergessen. Sollte ich mehr Text in die Skizzen einbinden?
Malta ist super und es gibt sooo viel zu malen. Gerne hätte ich mehr architektonische Skizzen gemacht und auch mehr Schiffe und Häfen gemalt, aber die Zeit reichte mir nicht. Nun bin ich wieder zurück und das Wetter ist in Deutschland momentan super (fast sommerliche Temperaturen - und das im April!). Das Malta-Skizzenbuch ist noch nicht ganz voll, d.h. ich sollte bald mal wieder dorthin reisen, um weiterzumalen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment