Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Testing a "blue sky" colour in a triad of colours

 

While chatting about colours during the sketch marathon in Prague, a friend of mine, Justyna from Poznan, gave me a blue full pan colour no. 226 Aquarius as a gift. 

She said I should test it. I could not wait to do so... This is so far only my second colour of this range. I decided to do the upper fast sketch with a triad of that new to me blue, burnt siena and a transparent yellow (like Aureolin) for that reason.


The blue, I found on the colour chart with the No. 226 is called "blue sky" which is a mixture of PW4:PB15:1 and it is semi-opaque, lightfast, medium staining and non granulating. You can see that in my upper sketch in the sky - there is no granulation at all. 

All other colours are mixtures with either burnt siena (granulating) or aureolin. What surprised me most is that with this blue and the aureolin you could achieve a nearly turquoise colour, which I used for the roof and the windows.

With just this triad a really nice green to my liking is not reachable, but the turqoise mix is definitely very cool and by mixing the blue with burnt siena, greyish shadow tones can be achieved. In my opinion this blue is made for sketching the sky on sunny days and I like it i.e. for turqoise rooftops.

No comments:

Post a Comment