Tuesday, January 21, 2020

My 2020 Colour Palette for travel sketching


















Let me show you my travel colour palette for 2020.
The colours in the upper row from 1 to 6 are just my additional joy colours which are not absolutely necessary to my palette. Naples for example is very nice for (Italian) buildings and turquoise for shallow waters. Prussian blue is a super mixer and rose opéra makes objects glow and is nice for portraying. Green gold for example is good for summer foliage.

My main colours instead are the other ones further down. The colours Burnt Siena and Lasurbraun seem very similar, but there is a difference for me in mixing and glazing. I still have to figure out how often I use each of them and maybe put one of them aside again later to make room for some other colours to try. The blues and browns are my most used colours in different mixes. 

Just to be clear this is my outside travel palette and is a different one than the one I use for studio work. Here I use cadmiums for their strength of colour which is valuable outside for fast colourful drawings. For a lot of careful mixing I would use others, but out in the field I often do not have much time for too many washes.

25 colours all in all. I am already planning my next trip where I can use them. Testing is not necessary as I did not change a lot compared to last year.

Janes Grey is new to the palette. This colour seemed valueable for shadows to me so I give it a try. It is a blueish grey neutral colour.

Here are my travel colours:

 1. Chinese White
 2. Naples Yellow
 3. Turquoise
 4. Prussian Blue
 5. Rose Opéra
 6. Green Gold
 7. Cad. Lemon
 8. Dark Yellow
 9. Cad. Orange
10. Lasur Orange
11. Cad. Red
12. Perm. Aliz. Crimson
13. Ultramarine
14. Cerulean Chromium
15. Burnt Siena
16. Violet
17. Janes Grey
18. Vert Jaune
19. Vert Anglais (Phtalo)
20. Yellow Ochre
21. Lasur Braun
22. Cobalt
23. Indanthrone
24. Deep Sap Green
25. Burnt Umber 

What are your favourite colours to take out for sketching?

No comments:

Post a Comment