Thursday, July 4, 2019

How I make my Colour Decisions




















While I am 
preparing my summer watercolour palette
I would like to tell you what I look for, when I decide  
what paint would fit into my actual palette:

- First of all the colour should have adequate pigmentation

- Second I test the mixing ability of the colour

- Third, I memorize if the colours are transparent, semitransparent or opaque 
   (and if  they are staining or non-staining)

- Then I look for possible granulation, or if they are spreading

- With some time of using you will see if they are easy to rewet and 
   if they are smooth when painting. 

- What is important for larger pieces is the lightfastness

- The most important aspect to me is my personal colour preference 
   (this does not mean the brand, but the colours I like)

What is important as well is that I only buy artist grade (no academy or student colours) to be able to achieve a good saturation.

So far for my todays thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment